Recently I have seen a lot of posts on social media regarding the environment. People are coming to terms with the damage we are causing our planet. In my design class our current project is to design a building that gives back to the community and to the environment. Meanwhile my business class is learning about corporate social responsibility. It seems that the world is starting to wise up to what is going on around us.
People are trying to fix the problems that were caused by us. It is important that we give back to the environment as it does affect our daily lives but we should also focus on the social side to giving back. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this subject and a lot of the same points were repeated so I’m going to share them with you.
- Recycle your glass. It reduces up to 20% of air pollution and 50% on water pollution.
- Use a glass water bottle and refill it instead of buying packaged water. Almost 90% of plastic bottles aren’t recycled, leaving them to take thousands of years to decompose.
- Planting a tree is something you’ve probably heard a lot but it is a good idea. We need to replace the trees we are cutting down. Otherwise there will be less fresh air available. Furthermore, the animals that live in those forests will slowly go extinct.
- Buy produce from local farms or markets. You will be supporting your local economy as well as guaranteeing the products are fresh and have not been genetically modified in any way. By doing this you can also reduce the amount of greenhouse gases that are created when products are imported by truck or aeroplane.
- Many phone companies have places where you can drop off old technology products to be recycled. The average phone has a lifespan of 18 months so it is better to recycle your old phones than allow them to end up in a landfill somewhere. The phones as well as their batteries release toxins into the air increasing air pollution.
It really doesn’t take much to change how you effect the environment. Just remember: this is the only planet we have, we only have one chance. Lets make it count.